Author Topic: Windows 10 Q&A  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Member++
  • Priority Boosts: 4
Re: Windows 10 Q&A
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
I researched and went to the trouble of adding all the usual "Safe Mode" variants (includes with networking and command prompt as well as basic safe mode) to my boot up menu which already had an entry for my old Win7 Recovery partition. When I was doing the same for my wife's computer I found that Fast Startup was totally bypassing these options. Upon disabling Fast startup, this troublesome issue went away. I like having the option to quickly get into safe mode without having to peck at a key or jump through hoops.

I did something similar to this but I did NOT make the changes permanent as this thread suggests.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/17159-safe-mode-add-boot-options-windows-10-a.html

This is the actual process I used and then checked them in msconfig as well as rebooting and trying each new entry to make sure they all worked properly. On one occasion I missed the last line in the command prompt  addition, but a quick look at msconfig made it easy to rectify by checking the "alternate shell" option.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-add-safe-mode-to-the-boot-menu-in-windows-10-and-windows-8/

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for their lost safe mode in Windows 10.  :D

Offline BenYeeHua

• Volunteer User Moderator
  • Member#
  • Priority Boosts: 6
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:49 AM »
I researched and went to the trouble of adding all the usual "Safe Mode" variants (includes with networking and command prompt as well as basic safe mode) to my boot up menu which already had an entry for my old Win7 Recovery partition. When I was doing the same for my wife's computer I found that Fast Startup was totally bypassing these options. Upon disabling Fast startup, this troublesome issue went away. I like having the option to quickly get into safe mode without having to peck at a key or jump through hoops.
Interesting, as I am using the computer at the college, they are having dual windows that have both Fast startup selected.(win 8 and Win 10) :)

Did your dual-boot is asking you to select Windows on the Blue Screen?(the UEFI blue screen that can boot into anything, like BIOS and safe mode. ;))
If it is asking you on the blue screen, then I has no idea...

Offline DeadHead

• Member++
  • Priority Boosts: 1
  • [A newly registered member with no personal text written here]
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 06:55:57 AM »
Q: This is more of a general Windows question that specific Win10, but I would like to know if there's any way you can map a ftp folder to a drive letter? I have a shortcut to my (remote) ftp server in Windows, but it would be so great and open up a number of possibilites if it was possible to assign a drive letter to this share as well. I do know of a few commercial, rather pricy products out there for this, but are looking for a possible native way in Windows, or an alternative that's not as pricy.

Edit: Just found out about a free product @ http://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html - will give it a try tonight (please feel free to remove link if not appropriate).
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Offline edkiefer

• Member#
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
Q: Want to know whats in that update ?

A: MS has release/posted a site with info on win10 updates , a changelog/history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

Lets see if they keep this updated over time.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Offline DeadHead

• Member++
  • [A newly registered member with no personal text written here]
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone go the solution to this issue.

I have a small home network of three computers, all of them running Windows 10. The problem I have, on all computers, is that when I, or anyone in my family, logs on to their computer using microsoft login, we can all see each others network shares (both in network as well as in homegroup), but when trying to open a share, I get the error that I can't access <name> and error 0x80070035. This is consistent on all computers. Browsing and accessing network shares through ip-address works just fine though.

However, if I log in through a local account instead of microsoft account, everything works just fine, I can see and browse network shares with no issues whatsoever. Anyone got any ideas about this?
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Offline BenYeeHua

• Member#
  • Priority Boosts: 6
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
Not sure, but I think there should be some clue on Process Monitor, just compare the path that it is trying to connect to.
So far I can only found this. :)
http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/cant-see-nas-in-explorer.762/

Q: Want to know whats in that update ?

A: MS has release/posted a site with info on win10 updates , a changelog/history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

Lets see if they keep this updated over time.
Thank for the tips that allow me to catch up much faster. ;)

You may also talk about the Edge changelog, I am a bit busy now, so just borrow you hands to me please, Thank! ;)

Offline Ava23

• New
  • Priority Boosts: 0
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »
Question:
Why most of my application shortcut on the Taskbar and Start Menu can't allow right click.

Answer:
It is because a bug in the Windows Store that causing it, the workaround is not running Windows Store.

If you still need to run Windows Store, by restarting "Tile Data model server" service after http://phenq-avis.com/en/ phenq reviews running it, the Application that are not Modern app will allowed you to right click on it again.
But remember that if you right click on Modern app shortcut, you will need to restart this service again. :P

So far no one know the answer...
http://superuser.com/questions/947789/cant-right-click-on-windows-10-taskbar-icons

---Edit2015-8-19 18:16:46

It also fixed the delay that the menu shown up, as somehow right click is much faster than dragging up. :P

New workaround, just don't hold and dragging up to show the menu, but right click on it, so it will not happen after you launched Store.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:36:19 PM by Ava23 »

Offline ryanperlman

• New
    • http://www.boosttestosterone2017.com/
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
such a nice post informative

Offline Hotrod

• Member++
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
Windows Mail (app?) was broken in one of the last couple of updates. It used to work flawlessly for me but now it won't sync with (some?) POP3 accounts. This has been reported by multiple users from many different mail servers. Changing to IMAP is the simple fix, but many servers do not allow for this or charge for IMAP access. Any tips for fixing POP3 would be welcome. Until then we have to use another client while waiting for a windows update fix.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:48:50 PM by Hotrod »

Offline ian231

• New
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
Start10 from Stardock. Still in open beta, but so far it seems to work just fine, for me anyway. $4.99 is the price they ask for it.

Thanks, don't understand how I could miss that one...

Anyway, the Start menu in Windows 10 is getting on my nerves, so I installed an alternative that really rocks, and brings back the old Win 7 style menu, with all the functionality and then some.

Offline Hotrod

• Member++
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
Since the Fall Creators Update several users are reporting that they get stuck on a screening with spinning dots and "Locking...". The only escape is a hard reboot. This seems to happen when the screensaver is set with a password and removing this makes it stop, but this is not a good arrangement. I certainly hope they patch it soon.

Offline Arynews

• New
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 04:38:35 AM »
Since the Fall Creators Update several users are reporting that they get stuck on a screening with spinning dots and "Locking...". The only escape is a hard reboot. This seems to happen when the screensaver is set with a password and removing this makes it stop, but this is not a good arrangement. I certainly hope they patch it soon. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:43:21 AM by edkiefer »